Saturday, September 12, 2009

Coupons

Let's talk about coupons. While at the store yesterday I was mussing about them. I have a friend (you know who you are) who is the QUEEN of the coupon. She astounds me with her fantastic purchases for pennies because she had coupons. I think it' great!

But.

ugh.

There was a time when I tried to coupon and this is what I found. I bought things I never would have bought before. For example, I might get a box of scalloped potatoes for $.69 but if I had't had the coupon I wouldn't have spent th $.69 in the first place. So did I really "save"? I ended up buying all our usual stuff, plus coupon stuff.
I also found that half of the coupon stuff never got eaten because it isn't our usual fare so no one wanted it.

So, I determined to only use coupons for things WE ACTUALLY USE. Guess what, they don't have coupons for most of what we eat. This eventually led to me scrapping the whole coupon game altogether.

But now I am in this grocery challenge and thinking, "Man, I wish I had some coupons so I could stretch this money a little farther."

sigh.

I like the coupons on the computer thing. When you can get them to print, that is. I'm also wondering how much printing all of those coupons will cost me in the end for ink cartridges. (There are NEVER coupons for ink cartridges and they are $$$$$$)

My coupon hero (mentioned above) says never buy unless it is on sale AND you have a coupon. In that case we might starve to death. I suppose I could stand to loose a few pounds (okay a LOT of pounds).

I was excited yesterday when I went to buy Hamburger Helper (had a coupon!) and it was already on sale! Trophy! Six boxes of Hamburger Helper for $4.75! For me, that is a good deal!

sigh . . .

2 comments:

  1. I have done the coupon thing. I always just would have them and for items I needed, I would buy what I had the coupon for. It was fun cutting them out, and whatnot. But over time, the Sunday paper coupons just got worse and worse. I stopped getting the Sunday paper. Unless you need mail order dolls and commemorative figurines, miracle undergarments, toothpaste and razors - those coupons are useless. Overall, I came to the same conclusion you did. It takes an awful lot of time, for very little reward. Like someone I know who gets all these great deals. That's fantastic - it isn't stuff we use. So what if I can get a truckload of teeth whitener for practically free - we don't use it. I have become better about ignoring deals just for the sake of deals. I have too many deals around my house as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with you Sister! To me, coupons seem like more headache than they save you! Like you, I've tried and given up. I shop at Wal-Mart and now Sam's Club, because they honestly are the cheapest (at least 'round here), and I buy mostly generic. I think I do pretty well at getting a lot of things for less money. It's a battle though, isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete