Today begins another year of school for the Lopshire clan. Every year is always different in the schooling area for us. This year, Andrew will be going to preschool (starting August 31st), Joey and Simon are going to school for first and kindergarten, respectively (they started TODAY!), and I will be homeschooling Wilson and Charlie (6th and 4th grades).
Half of me feels very excited about the year. Though I am a homeschooler, I LOVE school. I'm a classroom teacher at heart and I love that atmosphere. I am so excited for the littles going to school, hopeful that they will have a positive experience. Thanks to the wise counsel of a good friend (I love those early morning walks), I also am excited at the prospect of a year focused on the older boys. I will really be able to focus in on them and get them where they need to be! We might even be able to do some bigger projects! Also, with Wilson starting middle school I feel an extra sense of pressure to make this a strong year for him, academically.
The other half of me is incredibly sad to be sending Joey to school. It almost feels like a failure, even though I KNOW that it ISN'T. The fact of the matter is that he just hasn't been working for me, each minute of school time a battle of wills and a fight that I lose more often than not. So I am sending him off. Going to school will be good for him, I am certain. But I am sad about what we will miss this year because of it.
So, since the littles started to day, the big guys are starting today. We always start off light and easy, which is a good thing because I have only about 1/3 of their books for the year at this point!
I also love the irony that today starts school and for the first time in two weeks we have doctor appointments today and tomorrow! Ha! The joys of homeschooling! Lucky for me the boys can work in the car!
Please pray for me today and in the coming weeks. My emotions are all over the place and I really need to get it together!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Marti,
ReplyDeleteI will be praying for you. Decisions about schooling are so challenging. Remember there is not "ONE" perfect way to educate, and sometimes it takes sending them off to school to gain the lesson that is needed at that point in life. Let God lead you, and I pray He will fill your heart with peace.
So, how'd the first week go? I know you already know this, but I'm doing something similar to what you're doing this year - two in school, one enrolled in the Oklahoma Virtual Academy, and three doing regular ol' - fly by the seat of your pants - homeschooling. I betcha we're feeling a lot of the same emotions right now. I'll keep you in my prayers, my friend.
ReplyDelete