Friday, February 12, 2010

Bleck!



I do not like oatmeal. I am TRYING to like it. I'm talking about the warm the milk up on the stove, add the oats, and cook it, kind of oatmeal. The milk inevitably boils over while I am changing a diaper or making cereal for someone else. It is always too soupy or too thick. And it is just so BLAND! Today I added chai spice and some vanilla. Then I sprinkled on some Splenda and choked it down.
But . . . I know it is supossedly really good for me so I will continue to TRY to like it. Bleck . . . .

7 comments:

  1. Matt says try adding 2 T.- 1/4 c. brown sugar, 1/4 c. raisins, 1/4 c. walnuts (or pecans), 1 T. vanilla, 1-2 t. cinnamon, and 1-2 t. nutmeg. Note: He uses (whole) milk too. We are not oatmeal people, but the whole family loves Matt's oatmeal. The fruit, nuts, and vanilla give it great texture and taste.

    My new favorite oatmeal recipe: 2 1/2 c. water, 3/4 c. steel-cut oats, 1/8 t. salt, 1 large (8 oz.) tart cooking apple (cored and chopped), 1/4 c. chopped dates or dried figs, 3 T. honey, 1 t. pumpkin pie spice, 1/2 t. ground ginger, 1 % milk (optional)

    In a med. saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Stir in the oats and salt and bring to a bare simmer. Cook for 15 min., stirring occasionally. Stir in the apple, dates or figs, honey, pie spice, and ginger. Return to a bare simmer and cook, covered for 15 min. longer, or until the oats are tender but still have a slight bite to them. Spoon into bowls and stir in the milk or drizzle it over the top, if using. Makes 4 servings. (Recipe from Prevention's The Sugar Solution Cookbook)

    Substitution Notes: I've used raisins or other dried fruits (like apricots) instead of figs and dates. Sometimes I've made it with no fruit at all--just the spices and honey. I've also sometimes substituted real maple syrup for honey. I also usually use whole milk instead of 1%. It's always turned out great no matter how I've changed it up.

    -E =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marti - knowing that you're trying to do it for health reasons, adding fruit will make it better. I'm a big fan of raisins and cinnamon. But, find what works for you. OR eat something else. That's always an idea. I, personally love oatmeal. But, plain is never going to be tasty. A little milk (skim is fine) and a good amount of raisins and cinnamon should do the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reason # 3 for not liking oatmeal . . . who has time for all that?!
    I'll have to try some of those suggestions. I like the idea of the cut-up apple . . . raisins have too many calories for my liking . . . thanks for the tips. for now, I still say BLECK! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about eating it uncooked? I loved oatmeal and milk with a little sugar when I was a kid. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  5. eeehhhhhhuuuuu! that sounds gross! But, like something my weirdo eight-year-old would like!
    =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess I must have been one of those weirdo 8 year olds. :) BUT, have you tried it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, I love oatmeal! We like to add in any kind of fruit...apples, peaches, strawberries, raisins, whatever we have on hand. (Not all at once, just one!) ;) But, my favorite oatmeal I've ever made, was a spur-of-the-moment banana cream oatmeal. I used fat free half & half (a genius invention!) and ripe bananas, a bit of brown sugar, and some nutmeg. SOOOOOO yummy!!!

    Oh, and I always cook it in just water first, then add the milk/cream once it's thick. HTH

    Oh HA! I just saw the one about uncooked oatmeal. My dad and I eat uncooked rolled oats with honey, raisins, and a spoonful of peanut butter on the side of the bowl...and milk, of course. It is weird, I know.

    ReplyDelete