Monday, January 11, 2010

Meal Planning

For the last several years I have heard the words "meal planning" from time to time. I've even tried it once or twice. I never seem to make it past the grocery list. I think of the meals and make the list but inevitably forget something on the list, forget to get the meat out of the freezer, or any number of things.

Well, I'm tryin' it again! Meal planning is something I really should do. We are a busy little group and here lately dinner ends up being half-hazzard and as late as 9:00 at night.

So yesterday I sat down with Eric and the two oldest boys to plan it out for the week. (I've heard rumors that when you meal plan you do it for the month. Baby steps, people. Baby steps!) Three nights this week we will be out in the evening and need to have something quick. This website, http://crockpot365.blogspot.com is AMAZING! This woman decided to write a recipe book for the crockpot and as part of her research did a year of slowcooking, and blogged about it along the way. She has more than 365 recipes for the crockpot at this point! I found a yummy recipe for brown sugar chicken and a recipe for a beef roast (Eric wants to try something different) on her blog. I got imput from the three kids, I mean Eric and the two kids, and planned out meals for the week. I figure if we can stick to it for a whole week we deserve to eat out or something on Sunday!!!
Here's the plan . . .
Monday: Taco night (Tacos, beans, rice, stir-fry veggies)
Tuesday: Baked Spaghetti, garlic bread, salad
Wednesday: Brown Sugar Chicken, couscous, peas
Thursday: Beef Roast with potatoes and carrots
Friday: Mini Pizzas with salad
Saturday: Pork chops, pasta, and broccoli

I even planned out lunch for each day.

I made a grocery list, got EVERYTHING on it!, and stuck to the plan for today. Corn dogs for lunch, taco night for dinner. (No corn dog for me, I got Subway!) I think I can stick to this one! The boys are somewhat satisfied because they all got to contribute to the meals. Charlie wanted tacos, Wilson wanted pizza, and Eric wanted baked spaghetti!

Can she do it, folks? Can she actually follow a plan for an entire week? We shall see!

14 comments:

  1. Awesome, Marti! I have to send you my document with meals and my grocery list...sorry I haven't yet! I made it through last week's menus! Already our schedule changed so that I need to have a casserole or crockpot meal on Mondays, so I have to adjust already...inevitable, huh? I love crockpot 365 too! And that brown sugar chicken is yummy; I've made it before! Great idea to get the fam involved too...each of mine had special requests too. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. just don't tell the boys what that chicken is called! If they hear it they will never touch it! ha! Glad to hear you all liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I just ran across that crockpot blog too - WEIRD that you should mention it now! I'm going to have to go back there a check out that brown sugar chicken - sounds right up my alley. Good luck with the meal plan for the week - you can do it, Cindrella!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm baaaaaack...

    Forgot to say that your blog looks MAHvelous, darling. And the new picture of your boys is KEY-UTE!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you! Two nights down, four to go! Now if someone would just come over and do those dishes . . . =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. but but but...WHEN do you eat LEFTOVERS?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Crockpot 365 and I need a date. So many times I have time in the mornings, but in the late afternoon I'm either running around or just not in the mood to cook after the day's events.
    Oh, why, oh why did you post this? It has been on my heart for such a long time. . .and each time I procrasinate and NEVER get around to the meal planning. I guess I'd better get out my planner and get busy. Thanks for the kick in the backside. . .I think.
    Please update and let us know how it goes.
    I'm with you Dandelionmom. Cook one night, eat leftovers the next. Better yet, double the recipe and freeze it for a busy night when you don't have time to cook. I do this whenever I make soups.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here's my plan: Cook one night, eat leftovers the next, eat sandwiches the next, feed the kids cereal and go out for a secret hamburger with my hubby the next, and repeat the cycle.

    Is ABM joking or serious? The world will never know. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  9. HAHAHAHAHAHA! ABM, I think you are SERIOUS! (only because you are soooo like me!)

    Okay, so I was jst thinking at dinner tonight, "What AM I going to do with all of those leftovers?" It's not so bad. I try not too make more than what we will eat, to a degree, or as mentions make enough to freeze for anothernight.

    There was about a serving left over on Taco night, which I ate for lunch. There is also some taco meat leftover so I'm thinking nachos for lunch tomorrow.

    There were about four servings (big ones) of the baked spaghetti left over. Hubby took one for lunch today. I have the rest portioned out. Maybe I'll go ahead and freeze those for future lunches for him to take to work.

    Tonights Brown Sugar Chicken was AMAZING! Turns out three of the kiddos are spending the night with my parents since I have a meeting in the morning. And . . . Simon fell asleep on the way home from the gym so we only ate half. The chicken was already frozen so I can't refreeze it. I'm thinking we'll be eating chicken for lunch of Saturday.

    Tomorrow is a beef roast, and a smallish one for our family. This is about the only meal that I can for sure say that EVERYONE likes! I don't anticipate many leftovers. What IS will be used for beef and noodles on Sunday night. Or maybe Monday.

    If your counting, I usually figure leftovers are good for about four days (though my husband and father would disagree. They seem to think leftovers are good for like a month. EWWWWW!)

    So that's three nights down, three nights to go!

    Also, while waiting at the doctor's office I came across a recipe for "basil mashed potatoes." They looked yummy so I stopped at the store for some fresh basil and fat-free half and half. We had that with the chicken instead of couscous. The potatoes sounded really good. They weren't aweful but they weren't amazing, either. They were just okay. My regular mashed potatoes are AMAZING.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our beef roast is bubbling and smelling the house up. I just through some sliced potatoes in the small crock wth garlic, salt and peppe, and about 5 Tbsp of light butter. It's a gift, what else can I say!
    I think I might be on to something with thi mealplanning thing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so jealous. As I sit here with my big hunk of meat I didn't have time to get started before we left the house this morning (read, Tami was too lazy to get out of bed until she had to get the kiddos breakfast and ready).
    You've won me over. This weekend I'm meal planning. Hold me to it okay? I've vowed so many times before. . .

    ReplyDelete
  12. ABM,
    What's wrong with that plan anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I'm goin' with ABM's plan for next week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. tonight's dinner was DELIC! The potatoes were the best, the roast was AMAZING but not a favorite of the kids, though Simon gobbled his up, which is saying something.

    tomorrow is pizza night. easy night!

    may have to postpone pork chops for Saturday. Eric is planning to go to a wrestling tournament for the day and I just don't see me playing "Suzy" for a sixth day! Am thinking maybe I will be sneaking out with a girlfriend for the night!
    But maybe I will do the pork chops in the crock.

    Tami- suggestion . . . make Thursday night leftover night. By then you'll have enough leftovers that you won't need to cook AND you'll be ready for a day off!

    Any ideas for next week, ladies?

    I'm scratching the beef and noodles for Monday. forgot about the two cups of wine in with the beef. not so condusive to beef n noodles.

    I have frozen turkey from thanksgiving . . . maybe turkey and noodles . . .

    easy potatoes in the crock . . . cut potatoes into wedges (8 per potato), throw in a tablespoon of minced garlic, some salt and pepper, and a few tablespoons of light butter. Cook on high for two hours and low for two hours. . . yum, Yum, YUM!

    ReplyDelete